One of the requirements of the organization helping us with my son’s cleft operation is to secure for PWD ID. Good thing that my landlady is working for the municipality. She was able to connect us to one of the staff working for the Social Welfare’s Office (SWO) where we are currently residing. This is based on our experience last May 31, 2021.
Today, I thought of sharing it with you just in case you need it too particularly if you are from Liloan, Cebu.
What is PWD ID?
PWD or short for Persons with Disability. PWD ID, on the other hand, is a valid identification card for persons with disabilities issued by the Persons with Disability Affairs Office (PDAO) or the City / Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office (C/MSWDO) of the place where you currently reside.
This card is for free so you don’t need to pay for anything. It is valid for 3 years from the date of issuance. You can use it anywhere in the Philippines.
Note: Renewal shall be charged a minimal fee for the new PWD Card.
Here are the requirements you need before you can apply:
- 2 Photocopies of Medical Certificate or Clinical Abstract (Personally, I suggest to get a copy before you are discharged after giving birth.)
- 3 pieces of 1×1 ID picture of your baby (make sure to write down the complete name of your baby, the date of birth, and your baby’s thumbmark at the back portion of the pictures)
- Barangay Certificate for PWD (you should be bringing the medical certificate upon securing a copy as part of the requirement and your child’s livebirth)
- Accomplished Philippine Registry Form (you can get a copy of this from the PDAO or MSWDO. In Liloan, you can get it at the DSWD office beside the Police Station.) You can also get a PWD Application Form online.
Note: You can prioritize the first 3 requirements. You can submit them together with the form during the filing of the application.
How to Apply for PWD ID?
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to get your child’s PWD ID:
- In our case, we brought our baby with us. We go to the Social Welfare’s Office bringing all the requirements.
- After submitting the documents, the staff on duty came back to us asking to affix my son’s thumb print in the application form.
- The booklet and the card were released right after. The 2 copies of 1×1 ID pictures were used for the booklet and PWD card. It just took us about 30 minutes for the application to get processed. That fast!
Who Are Considered PWDs?
I am not sure though if Cleft Lip babies are considered PWDs but in our case, since Marco is both Cleft Lip and Palate affected, he was classified under Communication Disability (Speech). According to National Council on Disability Affairs, identification Cards shall be issued to any bonafide PWD with permanent disabilities due to any one or more of the following conditions:
- Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- Intellectual Disability
- Learning Disability
- Mental Disability
- Orthopedic Disability
- Physical Disability
- Psychosocial Disability
- Speech and Language Impairment
- Visual Disability
This also covers people suffering from disabling diseases resulting to the person’s limitations to do day to day activities as normally as possible such as, but not limited to, those undergoing dialysis, heart disorders, severe cancer cases, and other similar cases resulting in a disability, may it be temporarily or permanently.
Here are the benefits a PWD cardholder can avail:
- A minimum of twenty percent (20%) PWD discount from all establishments like hotels, restaurants, and recreation centers; discount on admission fees charged by theaters, cinema houses, concert halls, etc.; purchase medicines in all drugstores; medical and dental services including laboratories and professional fees of attending doctors; discount fare for domestic air, sea travel, public railways, skyways and bus fare.
- VAT Exemption
- 5% discount on regular retail price of basic necessities and prime commodities**
- Education Assistance (both in public and private)
- Other Government Benefits like GSIS, SSS, and Pag-Ibig
- Express Lanes/Priority Lanes for PWD
Note: **The total amount of said purchase shall not exceed the amount of Php1300 per calendar week.
Sources: RA 7277, IRR of RA 9442, RA 10524, and IRR of RA 10754. (https://www.ncda.gov.ph/)